Saturday, September 24, 2005

 

Firefly = Serenity = See This Movie!

This past summer, when Arrested Development faced cancellation, there was a big internet drive to keep the show on the air, the Get Arrested campaign. It was a massive success, and one of the best shows on the air was saved. You can watch it Monday's at 8PM on Fox.

Unfortunately, Firefly, another Fox show, was not saved, and a great series came to an end. But your chance for redemption has arrived. This is one of the shows from the past that you actually wanted to see on the big screen, and September 30th, your prayers will be answered. In movie form, Firefly has become Serenity. For the unfamiliar, here's a little intro they've prepared for you:

Joss Whedon, the Oscar® - and Emmy - nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE, ANGEL and FIREFLY, now applies his trademark compassion and wit to a small band of galactic outcasts 500 years in the future in his feature film directorial debut, Serenity. The film centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, Serenity. He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family –squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal.


If you were a fan of the show, you will be there. If you never saw the show, go see this movie. Then go buy the DVD's and see the show you never saw but should have. Who knows? Maybe it will come back as a series. It may be just a pie in the sky dream, but as the song says, "You can't take the sky from me."

But I'm no singer. Here's the Firefly theme song for you; I'd love to hear it again:

Theme from Firefly

Take my love.
Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don’t care, I’m still free.
You can’t take the sky from me.

Take me out
to the black.
Tell ‘em I ain’t comin’ back.
Burn the land and boil the sea.
You can’t take the sky from me.

Have no place
I can be
Since I found Serenity.
But you can’t take the sky from me.

Words & Music by Joss Whedon
Performed by Sonny Rhodes.


TV, movies, and music. The guy's some kind of genius. Here's a couple of pics as well. I like to call the first one "You'll take my Serenity when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers."




When I was trying to describe this movie to Miss Tori, based on the trailer we saw a while back, she didn't connect to any of the space stuff, the action, the adventure. No, her connection was "Oh! You mean the one with Joey????" No, not the Joey from Friends, which was what I was thinking when I told her it's not him. She means the Joey from some soap opera, One Life To Live, I think. Sheesh! But yes, it's him, playing the captain of the ship Serenity. He's made the leap from soap opera to space opera, and he's on the right in this next pic.




And since we're big on full disclosure in the blogosphere, I should tell you that I have a chance to see an early screening on Tuesday. Said chance is partly contingent on mentioning the movie here.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?