Tuesday, June 21, 2005

 

Emerging Leader? Not As Impressive As BFD

Normally I would be Future Benevolent Dictator, but Benevolent Future Dictator has better initials. Still, emerging leader sucks worse than both of them. That won’t stop me from attending the conference, 7/31-8/5, especially since I get some important work credits for it. Actually, that’s the only reason I’m going. I’m certainly not looking forward to bathing in the liberal brine I can imagine is only typical for our line of work. I get enough of that in the lunch room.

I was invited because, as fearless leader put it, they’ll all be gone soon, and they need younger people like me to fill in the leadership as the old guard retires. You may recall that I’m the oldest of the new wave, and that we’ll be facing the loss of a lot of institutional memory over the next five to ten years as the old guard retires.

I am not particularly motivated to take over and take charge of these sorts of things. A few years back, in a fit of management pique, all division heads had to reapply for those positions, and my name somehow came up as a possible replacement. So did Miss Baker. But when the time came, she was smart enough to bow out. At the time, I didn’t know I could do that. Fortunately, the powers that be ended up deciding to stick with Subtle Boss, who has been division head as long as I’ve been there. Look, I’m just not that guy; I don’t need the grief.

Unfortunately, I seem to be a grief magnet somehow. I hear the rumbles, and it ain’t my belly. From time to time I’ll get these sort of leadership comments. I’ll get asked to sit on interview panels for new hires. I’ll get suckered into managing client bases. And now this leadership conference. Because I’m supposed to be some sort of emerging leader. So what is it with me? Is it the simple fact of being around for ten years now? Is it because I’m the calm, collected sort, who only freaks out away from the prying eyes and gossiping mouths of my fellow workers? Is it because I crack good jokes sometimes? Or is it because the rest of the time I’m so quiet that they think I must be some sage with a wise soul? It can’t just be because I’m a guy, and not a nut like Captain Burnout, can it?

I’ll have a roommate at this conference, another guy, of course, because coed rooming would be a no-no with all the sex issues that entails. Which is a pet peeve of mine. Because the whole thing ignores the whole gay thing. Which I’ve griped about before. I wasn’t going to look for the link, but why not, so here it is. Or you can settle for the rehash: Same sex roommates are required, to avoid sex issues. But gay people want sex with same sex partners. So work travel with roommates is perhaps ideal for gay employees. The solution? Coed roommates! Maybe the third time will be the charm and I’ll get into this a little more. Right now, I’m distracted.

More on the conference as it gets closer.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?