Wednesday, November 03, 2004

 

Savoring The Sweet Justice (Now With Actual Updates!)

Well you met Captain Burnout, dreamy 60’s holdover who more and more typifies the loony left, last week. Well today at lunch I got the sweet justice I was hoping for. Poor CB was so crestfallen. He was in a state of shock. I think I also mentioned that the libs vastly outnumber Drinking Buddy and myself in the lunchroom, but many of them are more rational about it.

Captain Burnout apparently didn’t think that last week’s comment that republicans are into bestiality was enough. Today he said all we (libs) have left is impeachment or pulling a Guardian. You know the article I’m talking about. If not, ask me later. Subtle Boss told him you can’t say things like that. Not the impeachment part. A few minutes later, after Tough Boss had joined the table, CB said the same thing again. This time Tough Boss nearly shouted him down. Even Subtle Boss raised her voice! Both letting him know that suggesting pulling a Guardian is completely unacceptable. Tough Boss went on: “My father voted for Bush. He felt like security issues were most important and Bush was the guy for him. Now I don’t agree, but him holding that view is completely legitimate.”

Way to go Tough Boss. Tough Boss is pro Israel, and she and CB have gotten into it once or twice over that issue in the past. So she’s got that going for her. The fact is, even though she voted for Kerry, she’s still operating in the realm of reality. And you know what? It’s completely legitimate for her to hold her views and vote for Kerry.

I didn’t have to say anything. Just basking in his despair was enough. There’s no need to rub it in or anything, especially after such a contentious election season. Not only that, but I think I’ve mentioned elsewhere that it’s important to lead by example. Rather than get drawn into the muck, I just let the American people do the talking for me. Captain Burnout could benefit from the idea of keeping silent and having people think he is a fool rather than speak and remove all doubt.

What must it be like to be a Captain Burnout? I think it must be sort of like the Vatican felt when Galileo did his bit for science. I heard so many things like I just kept watching the polls in disbelief or how could this happen or I just can’t believe this. It’s as if they cannot accept or comprehend that others might not think the same way as they do.

I was concerned that Bush might lose. I understood that there were people who wanted Kerry. While I believe that voting for Bush was the right thing to do, I also knew he might lose. And I accepted that this could happen. The same is not true in reverse.

Now that I think of it, this election might be the best thing that could happen for the Democrats. Think of it as an intervention. Dems have been collectively set down by their fellow citizens and had their heads dunked in an ice filled men’s room toilet. Sort of like what Alex did to Billy in St. Elmo’s Fire. It didn’t quite take for Billy, but I’m optimistic for the Dems. I spent maybe twenty minutes poking around the net and I did spot a few on the left who seemed to realize that Democrats have a lot of rethinking to do.

Update: Whatever else you think of Kerry, give him credit for a concession speech that accepts the will of the people and calls for unity. This is one high road he actually took, and we should be grateful.

Actual Update: Yeah so I didn't really see it or read it, that's just sort of the impression I got from what I heard. I should have made that clear. If you're the one person who read this, I apologize for any confusion.

Update II: So where do I get the nerve to talk about the high road and not rubbing it in when I just wrote a post like this? Don’t I feel like a hypocrite? Maybe I would if anyone actually read this.

Actual Update II: To be fair, Captain Burnout is easily caught up in parroting rhetoric. I'm sure if you sat him down and seriously asked him, he would admit he doesn't really think Republicans have sex with animals. And I just realized we can now have a little experiment, boys and girls. Republicans have sex with animals. It wasn't until I looked at the words on the screen that I noticed it. So the experiment is this: How many search engine hits will I get for the phrase "Republicans have sex with animals"? I shall let you know.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?