Thursday, July 01, 2004

 

The Germans Have Left The Building

Ok last night things started coming back. TV was intermittent from about 4pm to 7pm, then pretty much back. Internet not as regular, but steady so far this morning; and the problem started with the internet connection. Thing is, the guy didn’t put in the temp line yesterday. I don’t know anything about how these things work. What could be going on in the line from the street to my house that makes it sometimes crap out? The line is underground, and I live in a place with sunny weather, so the environment doesn’t seem to be a problem. Someone said that sufficiently advanced science would seem like magic to someone ignorant of those sorts of things. Maybe its practitioners would be like gods. What does that have to do with anything?

Well, it has to do with my time in cableless purgatory. And with my generally crappy Wednesday. I’ve talked a little bit about faith before. Here’s a little more. Many faithful people ask from time to time why bad things happen to good people. Naturally, my crappy Wednesday is not like losing a job or getting run over or something like that, but it doesn’t have to be. I think it was Schopenhauer who gives us the general idea; I’ll do my best to get it across. The idea is that, as an older person, looking back over the course of a lifetime, it’s possible to pick out the little trivial moments that, while seemingly irrelevant at the time, actually have great import in the direction that life takes. These simple moments come to seem like clever plot twists in some intricate novel. Well, who is the author of this novel? Is it God? I certainly didn’t do anything to make my cable go German. Now my point would really be made if one of these cable techs was a woman, and we fell madly in love and lived happily ever after. Nothing so grand has happened. But I did live without TV or internet for about forty-eight hours. It gave me some time to think and to do other things. I worked on some musical tasks, practiced the guitar, did some housework. Pretty lame I know. But faith tells me I may look back at these two days and note that something started there. I won’t know for sure until then, but I’m willing to take that chance. I haven’t figured out how my faith and optimism mesh with my cynicism yet, but I have faith about that too. Oh! How about this: I’m afflicted with bipolar cynicism. Hey faith does pay off. I got the answer in just a couple seconds!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?