Wednesday, June 23, 2004

 

One More Day

I thought today would be the last day our committee met, but a big cheese asked us to come back tomorrow. One more day with Princess Wolfie. We’re all on these different assignments now, and after tomorrow, I won’t be seeing any of these guys for another month or so. What a bummer. I mean the other people in the company are all right, but these people are sort of my peers. We had a really weird hiring pattern for some reason. There’s really a very distinct age gap. How can I be specific?

Ok. Let’s try this. I’m 34, and I’ve been with the company for eight years. I am in the position of having the most seniority and being the oldest of the Young Group. Our ages range down to mid-twenties. Now look at the Old Group. If you start at my age, 34, and count up, you won’t hit another person until you get to at least 50. I have eight years of seniority. These people have twenty-eight years or more. So now you see what I mean when I say peer group.

Sherman Potter once explained that there’s a special sort of bond between people in a closer age group; they share so many social and cultural experiences that there is a definite feeling of We/Us. This feeling is even stronger for us because we are outnumbered 4 to 1 by the over 50 Old Group. So I guess what I’m saying is that I’ll miss these guys. That wasn’t so hard now, was it?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?